Sunday, August 22, 2010

4 Months In Florence

This semester I am going to be studying at Florence University of the Arts in Florence, Italy. I know we are spoiled in America because I found out that Italy does not have clothes dryers and the only place where one can find internet is in an internet cafe. I am not excited to hang dry all my laundry :(. I know I will become a lot more appreciative when I'm back home! I will also most likely be on a high level apartment with no elevator. My program coordinator told me that the apartments we are staying in are openings all around the city. The buildings could have been built up to 600 years ago. There is no air conditioning and electricity is a new comodity! This is going to be interesting.

I am rooming with 4 other girls from USD. We are sharing a suite that supposedly has a kitchen. It will be fun to shop for groceries and learn Italian recipes. My room mate is Kaitlin Cooper who was in my drawing class and photography lab. We are taking some of the same classes and I think we are going to get along very well. She has family in Paris and we might plan a trip together.

The classes I will be taking are Renaissance Art in Florence, Italian Renaissance Architecture, Michelangelo, Carvaggio & Bernini, Beginning Italian, and Mixed Media. I only have class Monday-Wednesday so I plan to do a lot of traveling on the weekends. A few of my friends are studying in Ireland and I would like to go there over my fall break. I also have a friend in Paris and a friend in Spain. Good thing I've been selling loads of stuff on ebay all summer! Getting covered in popcorn and soda behind the movie concession stand has also paid off too :)

1 comment:

  1. How Exciting! are you going to post pictures?! This is awesome katherine! So proud of you! love you!

    ReplyDelete