Thursday, November 4, 2010

Top O' The Morning To Ya

Kaitlin and I finally got to Ireland after 16 hours of traveling.  We got in at midnight and the next bus from Dublin to Cork wasn't until 6 am so we thought we'd just sleep there.  The man at the customs desk asked me if I knew where my grandparents from... A little confused, I said ya.  He then asked me if I knew where my parents where from.... Puzzled again, I said ya, then thank you and bye.  As I proceeded to turn the corner, I saw the massive billboard sign that said


 Just then I remembered that my last name is Irish and figured out that the customs man wanted to know where I was from in Ireland!!!  We found the McDonalds and the Starbucks in the airport and slept in arm chairs.  With a Rolo McFlurry and curly fries, we survived.  At 6AM, Kaitlin and I took the bus from Dublin to Cork to stay with our friend Megan who is studying abroad at UCC.  It was a 4 hour ride and I knew I was in Ireland when the bus driver said "Top O' the morning to ya"!!!!  I was in love with Ireland.  This is what I saw on the ride to Cork....


Some farms, sheep, cows, sheep, and more cows....


Oh ya, and GREEN.  EVERYWHERE!!!
And a lucky rainbow reaching to a pot o' gold!

Here are some of the views from our 20 minute walk from her apartment to her school.  I can see why Ireland is so beautifulllll.





I love the different buildings of Megan's school.  The modern on the left, the  A-Line storybook houses in the middle, and the ancient church on the right.


 Megan and Me in front of her classrooms that look like a castle.





 Kaitlin likes to document our everyday lives.   Megan and I are just that exciting.

I still can't get over her school building, and it is FREE for Irish students.  I want a free college that looks like a castle!!!!

The next day we went to the Blarney Castle.  But, we stopped on the way to get a snack at the open market.  I got a blackberry piebar.  It was delectable. mmm.  And then we all shared the merengue.  We couldn't leave it behind.

Blarney Castle was built around 1200 AD!




K&K



Kissing the Blarney Stone was pretty interesting.  We are on the roof of the castle.  I lay on my back and the man lured me down (as I held onto the bars for dear life) to kiss the stone upside down.  Then he reeled me back in.  Of course there was a man to take my picture, Disneyland fashion, and charge for it.  Gotta love tourism!  I just hope I receive the gift of eloquence!!!


We were lucky to have nice weather.  It was supposed to rain the whole week. Eek.


 
This view looks like it's from a puzzle that is for adults only, minimum of 1,000 pieces.  


There were multiple trails you could walk in the surrounding park.  You could do a wood trail, a lake trail, or go to the fern gardens...ohhh, ahhhhh.


We found a hidden waterfall!
 


The next day we went to Kinsale, a town by the sea...
 

This one is for my mom who made my sister and me wear matching Laura Ashley smocked dresses (our brother had a matching polo and dockers of course) and took us to get our picture taken every Easter with live bunnies at the Ellen Bac Studio.  I have not been in a Laura Ashley store since I was ten years old, and sadly, I forgot to go in. It's the thought that counts! Love you mommy!





This is for my favorite Irish auntie, Auntie Erin.  If I receive some gold, I will share it with you auntie!

FINALLY a country in the EU that celebrates Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I love the fall foliage, something we don't get in the heart of Florence.

Funny houses.

Where I want to live someday and dress like Audrey Hepburn.

The Multose Church Cemetery. Creeeeeepy.  Maybe my ancestors are here...
This flower and water picture is not enhanced at all.  I could not believe the colors!



Green telephone booth!

Kaitlin is the master of photography..

We went to a cute little pub that night and Kait and I shared raspberry Balmer's.  It's like flavored champagne.  Yummmm.


Ireland was lovely.  It is so calm and relaxing.  There is nature everywhere and the rolling hills will put you at ease immediately.  Kaitlin and I stayed with Megan for four days.  Being college kids, we ate a lot of McDonald's dollar value meal.  The food in Ireland was pretty expensive and corned beef is not as popular as I thought it was.  A Gaelic boy actually told me that he didn't even know a restaurant where I could find it.  Mom, I am still going to pretend it is popular Irish food, so you can make me some around St. Patty's Day!!!  One reason I liked Ireland was because of the two cheap department stores.  Dunne's and Penney's (I don't think it is related to J.C. Penny's) were both extremely cheap and had so much variety.  They both reminded me of massive Forever 21's.  In Florence we only have H&M and Zara, but I'm still young and prefer more color in my life-  I will dress like a business woman when I get a real job.  Anywho, I had a lot of fun with Megan and I can't wait until we can hang out together again in California. 

P.S. to Grandparents and Parentals:  Megan and Kaitlin are both going to come up and go tubing this winter!
As for the rest of our fall break,
Next stop, Paris!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment