Friday, November 5, 2010

You can take the girl out of California, but you can't take the California out of the girl.

I didn't realize that I dress in such a Californian way until I came to Europe.  I think I wear pretty normal clothes.  Lots of shorts, dresses, and cardigans.  My roommate Maggie describes my style as Prairie because I like flowers, lace, and frills.  However, when I came to Florence, I noticed I stick out like a sore thumb for many reasons.

1. I have blonde hair and blue eyes

2. When it's hot, I wear shorts, this may sound normal to Americans, but Europeans just don't do it.  It was in the 90's when we first got here and we USD kids were the only ones with bare skin... even the Italian kids were covered up.  I realize now why the Italian men hoot and hollar at us, they don't see bare skin in public until the study abroad kids come every summer.

3. Europeans don't wear Rainbows or sandals for that matter.  They wear their fashionable and expensive looking footwear at all times, God forbid they wear some Steve Madden gladiators.

4.  When it's 70 degrees here, Italians dress like it is cold, with scarves and jackets, while I am still wearing summer dresses, maybe a sweater on top.

5.  When it drops into the 50's and 60's, Italians erase all signs of color from fall and winter clothing.  They only wear jackets that are black, grey, or brown.  I fit in very well with my off white peacoat that has tortoise shell buttons and my red vans.  You can spot the American a mile away.

The Italian way of dressing will always baffle me, but I do give them props to their shoes, leather jackets, and purses.  I wish I had some money so I could actually afford that stuff! I have bought some grey boots and an army green jacket but I like to stay true to my California fashions, dressing in dark colors makes me sad.  At least it is still sunny here, even though I have to wear layers!!!!!
Wish me luck in Budapest next week, it is supposed to be a high of 48 one of the days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment